The Holy Spirit of God is what empowers the Believer’s life. However, it seems that He is the most unknown and least thought about when we speak of our Triune God. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Moreover, Jesus told the disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit to be given. Let’s become more acquainted with Him.
The Holy Spirit is given by God
- “He generously poured out the Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior.” – Tit 3:6
- “… how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him...”- Lk 11:13
- “Therefore, anyone who refuses to live by these rules is not disobeying human teaching but is rejecting God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.” – 1 Thes 4:8
Declaration of John the Baptist
John the Baptist told his followers that “I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit!” – Mar 1:8. See also:
- Mat 3:11; Lk 3:16; Acts 11:16
Jesus Baptizes with the Holy Spirit
Jesus’ Great Commission in Mat 28:19 specifically stated: “Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”
- “Now he [Jesus] is exalted to the place of highest honor in heaven, at God’s right hand. And the Father, as he had promised, gave him the Holy Spirit to pour out upon us, just as you see and hear today.” Acts 2:33
- “John baptized with water, but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” Acts 1:5
- “Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” Jn 20:22
The Holy Spirit of God Is:
- Like a dove – Lk 3:22 – “and the Holy Spirit, in bodily form, descended on him [Jesus] like a dove….”
- See also: Mat 3:16; Mar 1:10; Jn 1:32; Jn 1:33
- God’s guarantee – Eph 1:14 – “The Spirit is God’s guarantee that he will give us the inheritance he promised and that he has purchased us to be his own people.”
- See also: 2 Co 5:5; Eph 4:30
- The power of the Most-High – Lk 1:35 – “The angel replied, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most-High will overshadow you…”
- See also: Mat 1:18; Mat 1:20; Gal 4:29
- Truth – 1 Jo 5:6 – “And Jesus Christ was revealed as God’s Son by his baptism in water and by shedding his blood on the cross—not by water only, but by water and blood. And the Spirit, who is [the] truth, confirms it with his testimony.”
The Holy Spirit Gives Eternal Life
- “The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” Jn 6:63
- “Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.” Jn 3:5
- “Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life.” Jn 3:6
- “... Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.” Jn 3:8
Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit of God
Jesus said that all sin is forgivable EXCEPT blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. What a heart-stopping thought that those who have committed the most heinous crimes against humanity would be forgiven if they repented and turned to Jesus.
You can sin against Yahweh, our Creator or Jesus himself, but NOT the Holy Spirit!
- “So I tell you, every sin and blasphemy can be forgiven—except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which will never be forgiven.” – Mat 12:31
- “Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come.” – Mat 12:32
- “But anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. This is a sin with eternal consequences.” – Mar 3:29
- “Just think how much worse the punishment will be for those who have trampled on the Son of God, and have treated the blood of the covenant, which made us holy, as if it were common and unholy, and have insulted and disdained the Holy Spirit who brings God’s mercy to us.” – Heb 10:29
The Holy Spirit Provides:
- Wisdom – 1 Co 2:13
- …we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths.
- Teaching – 1 Jn 2:27
- But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.
- Holiness – 2 Th 2:13
- As for us, we can’t help but thank God for you, dear brothers and sisters loved by the Lord. We are always thankful that God chose you to be among the first to experience salvation—a salvation that came through the Spirit who makes you holy and through your belief in the truth.
- Power – Lk 24:49
- “And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”
Special Gifts from the Holy Spirit
Paul the Apostal, tells us in 1Corinthians, the Holy Spirit gives special gifts or abilities.
- There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. – 1 Co 12:4
- A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. 1 Co 12:7
- It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have. 1Co 12:11
The 9 special abilities are:
- giving wise advice
- messages of special knowledge
- great faith
- gift of healing
- power to perform miracles
- ability to prophesy
- discerning whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit
- ability to speak in unknown languages
- the ability to interpret unknown languages
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-10
The Holy Spirit has Emotions
We must keep in mind that the Holy Spirit is a person. Likewise, He has emotions just as we, Jesus, and our heavenly Father have emotions. Moreover, the Bible points out that we grieve the Holy Spirit when we live as if we do not belong to Jesus Christ.
- And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you are sealed for the day of redemption. – Ephesians 4:30 MEV
- And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. – Ephesians 4:30 NLT
- But they rebelled against him and grieved his Holy Spirit. – Isaiah 63:10
I hope this has helped you understand a little more about the Holy Spirit. I recommend you visit Renner.org for a more in-depth look and understanding of the precious Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit and You! (Paperback)
- Why We Need The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (Paperback)
- The Infilling of the Holy Spirit (5-Part DVD/CD Series)
- Why We Need the Gifts of the Holy Spirit (5-Part DVD/CD Series)
- The Ministry Of The Holy Spirit (4-Message CD Series)
Until we meet again, I am, Passionately Loving Jesus, The Anchor of my soul!
If you are not yet a follower of Christ, know that God loves you and is longing for a RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU! It is not a coincidence that you have come across this website and especially this article. God has an awesome plan for your life!
Scriptures used are from biblegateway.com and unless otherwise noted, I’m using the New Living Translation (NLT)Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.