Approximately 500 years have passed since God made the Covenant with Abraham to create a nation through him ( Genesis 15:18-21). The young nation of Israel, the seed of Abraham and Sarah were ready to enter the promised land of Canaan. Before entering, Moses reminded them once again of the blessings for obeying God. However, if they disobeyed, curses would abound if they did not repent and return to their God and King of Heaven and Earth. The 35 Curses for disobedience, from my count, are listed below. Verse numbers are included.
15 But it will happen, if you will not listen to the voice of the Lord your God, by being careful to do all His commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you.
7 Curses Related to Land
- 17 Your basket and your kneading bowl will be cursed.
- 23 The heavens which are over your head will be bronze, and the earth that is under you will be iron.
- 24 The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust. It will come from heaven down on you until you are destroyed.
- 38 You will carry a lot of seed out into the field but will gather but little in, for the locust will consume it.
- 39 You will plant vineyards and dress them, but will neither drink of the wine nor gather the grapes, for worms will eat them.
- 40 You will have olive trees throughout all your coasts, but you will not anoint yourself with the oil, for your olive will drop off.
- 42 The locust will consume all of your trees and fruit of your land.
5 Curses Related to Livestock
- 18 the produce of your herd will be cursed
- 18 the flocks of your sheep will be cursed
- 31 Your ox will be killed before your eyes, and you will not eat of it.
- 31 Your donkey will be violently taken away from before you and will not be returned to you.
- 31 Your sheep will be given to your enemies, and you will have no one to rescue them.
4 Curses Related to Family
- 18 Your offspring will be cursed…
- 30 You will be engaged to a woman and another man shall rape her.
- 30 You will build a house, but you will not dwell in it.
- 32 Your sons and your daughters will be given to another people. Your eyes will look and fail with longing for them all day long, but there will be nothing you can do.
- 41 You will give birth to sons and daughters, but you will not enjoy them, for they will go into captivity.
14 Curses Related to Health
- 21 The Lord will make pestilence cling to you until it has consumed you from the land, which you are going to possess. 22 The Lord will strike you with a wasting disease with:
- 22 fever
- 22 inflammation
- 22 extreme heat
- 22 sword
- 22 blight
- 22 mildew
- 22 the boils of Egypt
- 22 tumors
- 22 eczema
- 22 with the itch, from which you cannot be healed.
- 28 madness
- 28 blindness
- 28 and bewilderment of heart.
5 Curses Related to Invasion and Exile
- 25 The Lord will cause you to be defeated before your enemies, and you will go out one way against them and flee seven ways before them and will be become an object of terror to all the kingdoms of the earth.
- 26 Your carcass will be meat for all the fowls of the air and beasts of the earth and no man will frighten them away.
- 33 A nation that you do not know will consume the produce of your land and all your labors, and you will be nothing but oppressed and crushed all the time.
- 36 The Lord will bring you and your king, which you will set over you, to a nation which neither you nor your fathers have known, and there you will serve other gods, wood, and stone.
- 37 You will become a horror, a proverb, and an object of ridicule among all nations where the Lord shall lead you.
Why 35 Curses for Disobedience?
45 Moreover, all of these curses will come on you and will pursue you and overtake you, until you are destroyed, because you did not obey the voice of the Lord your God, by keeping His commandments and His statutes which He commanded you.
46 They will be a perpetual sign and wonder in regard to you and your descendants, 47 because you did not serve the Lord your God with joy and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things.
Ultimate Judgement Before Exile
- 48 Therefore, you will serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger, thirst, nakedness, and need of all things.
- 48He will put a yoke of iron on your neck until He has destroyed you.
- 49 The Lord will bring a nation against you from far away,
- 50 a nation with a fierce countenance, which will not respect the old or show favor to the young.
- 51 They will eat the offspring of your livestock and the produce of your land until you are destroyed.
- 51 They will leave you no grain, wine, or oil, or the offspring of your herd or the offspring of your sheep,
- 52 He will lay siege on you in all your towns until your high and fortified walls … which the Lord your God has given you.
- 53 You will eat the offspring of your own body, the flesh of your sons and of your daughters, which the Lord your God has given you, during the siege and distress
- 54 The man who is tender among you, … shall be hostile toward his brother and toward his beloved wife and toward the rest of his children who remain, 55 so that he will not give to any of them any of the flesh of his children which he will eat …
- 56 The tender and delicate woman among you … will be hostile toward her beloved husband, and toward her son and her daughter, 57 … For she will secretly eat them because of lack during the siege and distress …
These are the 35 curses for disobedience I counted while reading Deuteronomy 28:15-57.