Yahweh, King of Heaven freed Israel from Egyptian slavery just as he told Jacob He would, over 400 years earlier. Gods’ will for the children of Israel was made clear through Moses. The first five books of the old testament document the blessings for obedience and the penalties of the kingdom for disobedience.
In the book of Leviticus, chapter 26, God gives Israel five graphic progressive penalties of the kingdom if they continually choose to disobey His commands.
If You Do Not Listen to Me:
- Or obey all these commands, and if you break my covenant by rejecting my decrees, treating my regulations with contempt, and refusing to obey my commands, I will punish you. I will:
- Bring sudden terrors upon you,
- [Cause] wasting diseases and burning fevers,
- Turn against you,
- And you will be defeated by your enemies.
- Those who hate you will rule over you,
- You will run even when no one is chasing you! Lev 26:14-17
And if in Spite of All This …
- you still disobey me, I will punish you seven times over for your sins.
- I will break your proud spirit by making the skies as unyielding as iron and the earth as hard as bronze.
- All your work will be for nothing, your land will yield no crops,
- And your trees will bear no fruit. Lev 26:18-20
If Even Then You Remain Hostile …
- toward me and refuse to obey me, I will inflict disaster on you seven times over for your sins.
- I will send wild animals that will rob you of your children.
- And destroy your livestock.
- Your numbers will dwindle,
- Your roads will be deserted. Lev 26:21-22
And if You Fail to Learn the Lesson …
- and continue your hostility toward me, Then, I myself will be hostile toward you.
- I will personally strike you with calamity seven times over for your sins.
- I will send armies against you to carry out the curse of the covenant you have broken.
- When you run to your towns for safety, I will send a plague to destroy you there,
- You will be handed over to your enemies.
- I will destroy your food supply,
- They will ration your food by weight, and though you have food to eat, you will not be satisfied. Lev 26:23-26
Finally If …
In spite of all this, you still refuse …
- to listen and still remain hostile toward me, then I will give full vent to my hostility. I myself will punish you seven times over for your sins.
- Then you will eat the flesh of your own sons and daughters.
- I will destroy your pagan shrines, and …
- Knock down your places of worship.
- I will leave your lifeless corpses piled on top of your lifeless idols, and …
- I will despise you.
- I will make your cities desolate and …
- Destroy your places of pagan worship.
- I will take no pleasure in your offerings that should be a pleasing aroma to me.
- Yes, I myself will devastate your land, and …
- Your enemies who come to occupy it will be appalled at what they see.
- I will scatter you among the nations and …
- Bring out my sword against you.
- Your land will become desolate,
- and your cities will lie in ruins. Lev 26:27-33
The Children Did Not Listen
Reading the historical books of 1 and 2 Kings Israel and Judah did not listen. Consequently, the ten tribes of the Northern Kingdom (read 2Kings 17:5-23) and likewise, the Southern tribe of Judah (read 2Kings 25:8-12) were exiled in punishment. Just as The King of Heaven decreed for disobedience.
Nevertheless, in the following verse, I hear the heart cry of a loving Father. Furthermore, the King of all creation is crying out and pleading for His children to repent.
As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live. Turn! Turn from your wickedness, O people of Israel! Why should you die? Ezekiel 33:11
The penalties of the kingdom are still in effect today. The King of Heaven pleads with us today to repent and return to Him. Through the King of Kings, Jesus Christ, we can live!
If you are not yet a follower of Christ, know that God loves you and is longing for a RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU! It is not a coincidence that you have come across this website and especially this article. God has an awesome plan for your life!